Sunday, July 6, 2008

Taxi anyone?

This is a post I have been thinking about for quite some time now, however, I felt like I couldn't accurately write about the experience until I had actually participated in the mini-bus taxi ritual. Today, I wanted to go to the city center and intended on taking the train, however, as I rushed to the station, the train to Cape Town pulled in and I was still 2 blocks away without a ticket, so I knew there was no way I would be able to board. I didn't want to wait an hour for the next train, so I took a taxi. Here is the basic handbook for taxis in South Africa.
Background: In Cape Town, cheap transport is provided by two forms: trains and the mini-bus taxi. The taxi is normally an old VW Combi (era late nineties or before unless you are really lucky) that is crammed full with as many people as possible. The taxi outfit consists of a driver and a fare collector/advertiser.
Fares: The fare from Obz, where I live, to Cape Town center is about 5 rand (75 cents in USD)- the same as the train- but I can catch a taxi at any moment during the day or night and get a ride to the city.
How to catch a taxi: This is normally done effortlessly. The advertiser screams out the window "Wynberg, Claremont" or "Kaapstad" and the driver honks the horn. When a person makes eye contact with the advertiser or some kind of hand signal, the taxi driver slams to a halt and the passenger is picked up, even if there appears to be no space for the person. The fare is collected and the individual tells the driver where they want to stop along the main road. At each stop the advertiser gets out of the taxi and runs up and down the sidewalk saying, in my case, "Lady do you want Wynberg/Claremont", to which I nod my head no. If you want to get on, the advertiser will assist in helping you find a place and carry your bags to the taxi finding a spot where your belongings will not get crushed.
Dangers: The only drawback of this form of transport, other than the sardine effect, is the safety factor. The drivers don't adhere to traffic laws. They drive too fast, in turn lanes, turn off randomly to pick up passengers, and carry far more people than what the vehicle was intended for carrying. I have seen at least 2 accidents (actually witnessed them occurring) with taxis.
FAQ: Would I recommend taking a mini-bus taxi?
Now that I have actually taken one, I don't find them as scary. They are slower than the train and are less sketchy, but I think I would recommend this form of transport if you need something quick and cheap. It is definitely better than walking in crime ridden neighborhoods and will get you to your desired location in mostly one piece.

No comments: